How To Get Started With Content Selection In Curriculum Development
All the learning institutes plan for their coursework. This planning is necessary to make the right flow in everything. In this coursework planning, the higher authorities come up with the right information and knowledge. This information and knowledge are based on some theories, laws and facts. All of this information is taken as content in curriculum development. Most of the people take content as anything written in the form of text.
In actual, this content can be in any form. For example, audio, video and anything in written form is content. In curriculum development, content selection has a particular role. Content selection is the identification of the right material for study. In this way, all the effective skills and strategies are provided to the students. The purpose of doing so is to develop self-assessment in students.
Definition of Curriculum Organisation
Curriculum organisation is a way that is used for course design. In simple words, you can say that all of the institutes have the opportunity to show their identity. The only purpose of curriculum organisation is to meet the goals of teaching and learning. In this way, it becomes easy for teachers to come up with appropriate learning decorum in class. Without curriculum organisation, it becomes very difficult to achieve the aims. Because of this curriculum organisation, it becomes easy to see your learning objective come true. In simple words, curriculum organisation is necessary for all types of learning experiences. It plays an important role in curriculum development.
Steps of curriculum organisation
Curriculum development demands six steps of curriculum organisation. These six steps are considered from a broader perspective. On a minor scale, you can find more than six steps in curriculum organisation. Experts of a dissertation writing service have discussed these six steps briefly as below,
- First of all, it is important to create a value base for whatever you want to do. Based on your base value, you have to make a plan.
- Your base value decides what can be the best framework for your work. Make sure this framework is flexible. Furthermore, you have to ensure the ground bases for your framework.
- Now you are supposed to set a goal. It is better to read standards to set goals under curriculum development. In this way, you will come with something valuable. While setting a goal, you have to take great care of the demand and need. You can read different models associated with demand and need. Also, do not forget to identify the pros and cons of your goal.
- The fourth step in curriculum organisation under curriculum development is to design the program.
- Any program without assessment is almost useless. The assessment procedure is necessary to see if everything is going in the right direction or not. This assessment helps you to modify the program effectively. You can identify mistakes very easy because of the assessment procedure.
- The last step is to actually implement the program.
Criteria of Selecting Components of Curriculum
The components of the curriculum are selected based on its level. There are two levels of the curriculum. The first level of curriculum is micro. On the other hand, the second level is the macro-level of the curriculum. For both levels of the curriculum, there are seven criteria for selecting components of the curriculum. These criteria are mentioned below;
Let’s discuss each criterion briefly.
The first criterion of selecting a component of the curriculum under curriculum development is independence. In this way, students get a chance to face real-world challenges by themselves. They independently observe and learn accordingly. As per this criterion, the teacher has to put less effort. But the main and leading role is of the student.
The content of the curriculum must have participation in skills’ development. In the same way, it should be culture-sensitive. It should not harm anyone’s dignity at all. So you have to take great care of this criterion.
Make sure that all of the selected content is up to date. So, if there is something that is old fashioned, try to eliminate that and for next time, come up with the best and most trendy content.
The activeness of students matters a lot. Teachers are not supposed to go for subject-centred techniques. This technique does not let students to ensure activeness. The teacher should add some relevant and interesting points while teaching.
The practicality of the curriculum is judged based on its market value. Market value is all about its worth in the job sector and in academics. If the curriculum content has worth in both of sectors, it means it has passed the criterion of practicality.
The teacher should go for comprehensiveness. It is necessary for the teacher to understand the mentality and psychology of a student. Teachers may have to learn about these techniques through some theories and principles.
In the last criterion under curriculum development, it is demanded to ensure implementation of the curriculum content. Every semester and subject is planned for a particular period of time. So, it is very important to follow the designed time range.
Methods and Principles of Curriculum Content Selection
Following are the methods and principles of curriculum content selection:
- Principle of totality of experience
- Principle of Child-Centeredness
- Principle of Conservation and Creativity
- Principle of Integration
- Principle of Flexibility
- The Principle of Utility
- Principle of Character Formation
- Principle of Mental Discipline
- The Principle of Social Fulfilment
- Principle of Relating to Community Life
- Principle of Training for Leisure
- Principle of Correlation
All of these principles are important for curriculum content selection. The implementation of principles can vary from goal to goal.
By having a proper and detailed understanding of the criteria and principles of curriculum content selection, you can ensure all aspects of curriculum development. All these related things are very important to understand for curriculum development. Otherwise, you will be confused about content selection.